Thursday, April 19
Turning stats into stories: Effective data visualization for all audiences and communicators
Great communicators are adept at crafting stories from raw information. As business analytics become more sophisticated, those crude facts increasingly take the form of metrics, spreadsheets and digits. How does a communicator translate a spreadsheet into a visually pleasing story? In this session, novice and veteran communicators will learn the art of data visualization and how to create magic out of spreadsheet madness.
You’ll learn how to:
- Cultivate stories from numbers and present them to any audience
- Identify the most important information in a data set
- Choose visual formats that best suit your story
- Design poignant graphics from rows of data
(provided on site)
Low-budget tricks for reaching all audiences with stunning visuals and video
Making engaging video doesn’t have to be a budget-busting endeavor. The best communicators know how to offer quick, shareable hits of the most crucial information for any audience, even those on the go. In this presentation, Ashley Miller shares how her team at Lehigh Valley Health Network creates videos and visuals for an audience of busy, on-the-go individuals.
You’ll learn how to:
- Create must-know video communications for employees in a hurry
- Use creative social media tactics to bypass algorithm blockades
- Capture attention with easily consumed short-form video stories
- Make the most of native Facebook tools to design stunning visuals
- Reach physicians and other nondesk employees with crucial messages
Friday, April 20
Communicating purpose through corporate video
Videos need not be flashy to tell a powerful story. Many of the best are rooted in timeless narratives that have been reinvented thousands of times. In this session, YouTube veteran Zynara Ng shares how she creates incredible videos that offer up a higher purpose through emotional storytelling—and how you can do the same.
- Why pre-production is the most important part of the video process
- How to ask the right questions to find stories that stick
- How to communicate a meaningful message to your audience
- Post-production tips for finishing your video story with vigor
Finding what matters: Capturing corporate stories that move audiences to action
Everyone has a story. Few have the skills to tell it in a way that seizes an audience’s attention and doesn’t let go. The communicator’s challenge is to not only uncover stories that matter, but weave them in a way that inspires and ultimately achieves business goals. In this session, Kim Clark puts her documentary filmmaking background and communications expertise on display and reveals practical video storytelling and executive communications takeaways.
- How to coax compelling stories from employees and executives alike
- How to build trust among leaders for on-camera interviews
- When to use video and when not to
- How to choose a distribution channel that best meets your business objectives
- Ways to plan and shoot a video to make it more dynamic