Tuesday, Mar. 6
Second City Workshop
Topic: Change management/communications
Lunch on your own
Visual storytelling lifespan: A story is born, produced, promoted, measured and reinvented
This hands-on pre-conference session is a deep dive into how to create an editorial vision, story or brand—beginning with how to think about visual storytelling, how to bring a story to life, how to promote and distribute it and what to measure to determine whether it was a success or not. We will use one real-life example to showcase how to think about the conception, birth, life, potential death, minor reinvention, probable death and major reinvention of a real story or content brand, along with the actual hurdles you’ll face throughout the process. Attendees are encouraged to bring ideas for stories or series they’re currently working on to develop during the hands-on portions of each section.
In this session you’ll learn:
- The realities of the social media content landscape, right down to the mortality rates of new brands and video series. Spoiler alert: It ain’t pretty
- How to find the “why” for your brand/series/video: Why does this story deserve to be told? Why does your audience care? Why should you use precious internal resources to bring it to life? In short: Why do this?
- How a good production plan and editorial calendar is everything
- Which metrics should matter most to you early in the life of a video series
- When (and how) to bring the life of your brand/series/video to a merciful end—and where to go from there
Beyond the numbers: How to prove the value of internal communications
Everyone says employee engagement is one of the keys to being a great place to work. The key to engagement is great internal communications. How can you tell if it’s working? What are you actually measuring, and to what end? What will you do with the results to move your communications from good to great? Join Ragan Consulting Group’s Jim Ylisela and Rebecca Shaffer as they make the case for continuous communications measurement—beyond the yearly comms audit.
During this session, you’ll learn:
- What to measure and why (Hint: It should be tied to your business goals)
- From comprehensive audits to pulse surveys: The right frequency to measure all your communications
- What metrics matter most? Beyond clicks and open rates
- The five best internal comms measurement tools
- The five-step process for a comprehensive comms audit
- What to do with what you measure: How to win approval to make significant upgrades to your communications